Etisalat and du are licensed to provide telecommunication (landline, mobile phone and internet) services in the UAE. Emirates Post and Empost provide mail services.
The UAE has a fast, efficient telecommunications network. The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority(TRA) is responsible for the management of every aspect of the telecommunications and information technologies in the UAE.
In 2016, the UAE continued to lead the Arab world in terms of networked readiness with a global ranking of 26, according to World Economic Forum’s Global Information Technology Report. This demonstrates the robust nature of the UAE’s telecommunications sector and the government’s success in leveraging advancements in the information and communication technologies to drive economic productivity and social development.
The UAE has achieved significant progress in the Telecommunication Infrastructure Index (TII). It moved up from the 24th position in 2016 to the 2nd position globally in 2018. Advanced telecom infrastructure will be positively reflected on the achievements of the UAE in the field of artificial intelligence, internet of things, big data, autonomous mobility and drones.
Two telecommunications operators, Emirates Telecommunications Corporation (Etisalat) and Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company PJSC (du), are serving the UAE telecommunications sector. Both operators are licensed to provide public telecommunication services, which include landline, mobile phone, internet and satellite TV connections.
Other licensed telecommunication service providers include:
- Media Zone Intaj FZ LLC and Al Maisan Satellite Communications Company are licensed to provide broadcast satellite transmission services.
- Nedaa is licensed to provide public access mobile radio services.
- Thuraya Telecommunications Company PrJSC is licensed to provide mobile communications by satellite in the UAE.
- Al Yah Satellite Communications Company is licensed to provide satellite and broadcasting satellite services in the UAE.
- Laws regulating the telecommunications sector in the UAE – TRA
- Obtaining utilities Abu Dhabi
- Obtaining utilities – Dubai
Emirates Post offers postal (including post box) and courier services. It also offers non-postal services including utility bill payment and marketing solutions.
Updated on 29 Apr 2019