The freelancer permit, announced by Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development (ADDED), is available to UAE citizens, residents and non-residents, which will allow them to apply for residence visas. The permit also does not have a mandatory requirement for an office space, according to the announcement.
Cost and validity
The freelancer license by ADDED is for Dh530 and is valid for two years. It also allows the licence holder to sponsor his or her family in the UAE. However, it is important to note that this would be under the family visa and not under the company name. The family’s visa will also be valid for two years.
Application method for freelancer licence
To register for the freelancer licence, applicants can call ADDED on 02 815 8888 or register a new account with the Abu Dhabi Business Centre on http://www.adbc.gov.ae
The Abu Dhabi Business Centre also has an app, available for Android and Apple devices, called ‘AD Business Centre’.
To register with the Abu Dhabi Business Centre, applicants simply need to create a new account by providing the following details:
1. Full name
2. Passport number
3. Mobile number
4. Email address
Once you set up an account, you can apply for the Freelance licence under the ‘Commercial licence’ category.
You do not need a local service agent or UAE citizen as a partner in order to apply for this licence. However, you would need to provide the following supporting documents for your application to be considered:
1. Proof of expertise in activity seeking to be licensed for: A university degree, a certificate of experience or accredited accomplishments in desired activity.
2. If the applicant is a resident
• Working in the government sector – should attach a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the employer
• Working in the private sector under a permanent contract and will be participating in a similar activity – required NOC letter from employer.
• Working in the private sector on a part-time basis – NOC letter not required.
Which activities are included?
Under the terms of the recently issued resolution, ADDED has identified 48 economic activities that can be practiced with a freelancer licence.
The economic activities include:
1. Working soap forming
2. Parties and events organising
3. Tourist and recreation consultants
4. Green buildings consultant
5. Marketing consultancy and studies
6. Information technology consultancy
7. Translation publication services
8. Heritage consulting
9. Plastering and carving works
10. Coordination of natural and artificial flowers
11. Space consultancies
12. Design services
13. Consulting technical equipment
14. Fashion and clothes designing
15. Real estate consultancy
16. Public relations consultancy
17. Human resource consultancy
18. Marketing consultancy in the field of energy
19. Computer devices and equipment domain consultancy
20. Handcrafted products and environmental works
21. Landscape and gardening services
22. Marketing operations management
23. Parliamentary consultancy
24. Economic feasibility consultancy and studies
25. Administrative consultancy and studies
26. Parties and occasions photography
27. Lifestyle development consultancy
28. Calligraphers and painters
29. Agricultural extension services
30. Plague resisting consultancy
31. Procurement consulting
32. Quality, standardisation and measuring consultancy
33. Maritime consultancies services
34. Commodities designing consultancy
35. Project management services
36. Network websites designing
37. Jewellery design, jewellery
38. Statistical services consultancies
39. Personal videography
41. Banking services consultancy
42. Artwork for cosmetic craft (sculpture)
43. Consultancy project development
44. Food safety consulting
45. Photography services
46. Architectural production and drawing technical consultancy
47. Fine arts consultancy
48. Logistics consultancy